Slide Show

Monday, February 25, 2013

The magic of creation



Writing isn’t a habit. It is a way of life for many people. Some may do it full time, some part time, some may have turned it into a job and some may write just for themselves. But writing is not as easy as it may sounds.

I was searching the internet and I found some very interesting words from a very interested man. George R.R. Martin, along with other things, when someone asked him advice for a new writer, he said:


“Write every day, even if it is only a page or two. The more you write, the better you’ll get. But don’t write in my universe, or Tolkien’s, or the Marvel universe, or the Star Trek universe, or any other borrowed background. Every writer needs to learn to create his own characters, worlds, and settings. Using someone else’s world is the lazy way out. If you don’t exercise those “literary muscles,” you will never develop them.”

These words have stuck into my mind. Writing in a “borrowed universe” it is indeed easier since you are only worried about your story and your characters. But think about creating a whole new universe! In that case you have to create everything from scratch! And by everything I mean every little creature that may live in your world. You have to make it real, logical, shape it in your way, put the rules and the laws. This is a very big work to do, but it is true that you will exercise those “literary muscles.” And frankly, that is the best exercise of all!  

In a position like this, I found myself when I was writing my second novel. I have finished the first draft but I have left it there since I had to edit DAZED. But the time will come that I will start editing that book and there are a lot to be done. It is a complicated book for me, since the story takes place in two different worlds and one of them, is a whole new universe! The first draft may have ended fast, but I have to shape this universe, especially since the story has a sequel, which I haven’t started yet, and make it real!

Writing is so much more than sitting in front of your computer and typing. Writing, like a fellow writer, Ksenia Anske, had said “is like pulling strands out of your soul, one by one, until one day instead of a mess it finally looks like a story.”

This is the magic of creation, right? You give your soul to it and hope that people will embrace it. 

10 comments:

  1. Nice post, Athina. I love both quotes from George R.R. Martin and Ksenia Anske. I believe that as writers, we have to flex those 'literary muscles', for there are no short cuts if you want to create a novel or 'new world' that would last forever in the mind of your reader.

    I haven't written about any new world. All my works are set in present planet Earth. But I have respect for those writers who creates new worlds and do it well.

    Best wishes with your new book and DAZED! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kaykay,
      I believe that every writer should exercise his “literary muscles” even if he is experienced or new to writing.

      I have made my first attempt to create my own world even if it’s not a world such big as others, but it will be something new. I have a lot yet to do and I wish I can do it well. :)

      I wish the best for you and your books too.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for quoting me, Athina! Now, off we go pulling our stories out of thin air, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!
      Thank you for making a comment and for stopping by.
      Good luck with your writing.

      Delete
  3. Hi Athina,

    Thanks for following my blog. I'm following you back now

    Char @ From the Shadows I Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I hope you like it here. :)

      Delete
  4. The magic of creation is unfathomable and undescribable...
    When I'm in the flow I often write things that I didn't even know were in me. It's the greatest gift to be able to create with the entire soul and also to have the courage to do so.
    I can only write down what's in me, if I try to follow the paths another writer has successfully laid out, I'll fail because it's not my path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that’s how it works for me too. Sometimes when I read my book I wonder where an idea came from and lead me to an event.
      Everything comes so natural that the only thing I can do is write them down. It’s the strands we pull out of our soul like Ksenia said.

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. Such a great post! I agree: writing, as well as all other creative pursuits, are more than a habit. It's very much a need that must be nurtured if we're to ever excel at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's like a need and I hate it when other things come higher in priority so writing left behind.
      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete