Slide Show

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

GUEST POST:Independent Author - An Oxymoron by Richard Stephenson


Today I am in the happy place to host a Guest Post by Richard Stephenson, author of the dystopian thriller, COLLAPSE. I hope you will enjoy the post as much as I did. It is very interesting, especially if you are an indie author. I find this really helpful and it gave me a ray of hope, that with some help and tons of work, we can really make self-publishing work.

“Independent Author
That phrase for me is the textbook definition of an oxymoron, like "Act Naturally" or "Jumbo Shrimp".  I understand that the term was coined to mean independent of the Big Six publishing houses.  The meaning of the term should stop right there and should never be used in any other sense.

I started writing "Collapse" back in March.  I wasn't even sure I was going to write a novel when I sat down in front of my iMac.  I just wanted to see if I could do it.  I spit out a few chapters and eventually made an outline.  I let my wife and best friend read it and they were impressed.  They encouraged me to keep writing and told me I had talent.  After the first seven chapters I was excited to get the word out and decided to release a sneak peek.  I dumped each chapter into an online grammar check website and made a lot of corrections thinking it was polished and ready for distribution.
Holy cow was I wrong!” READ MORE

No comments:

Post a Comment