Slide Show

Monday, April 22, 2013

Reading a book is lame. Are you serious??


Hi there! It’s Monday and I’m here to discuss a very interesting topic with you. It's something that happened to me yesterday and I'm still furious. So, take some time to read this post and please tell me your thoughts. I really want to know what you’re thinking. Don't hesitate to tell me if I'm wrong. 





So, yesterday I went for coffee with a bunch of friends. The sun was hot, the day was beautiful and going out was ‘necessary’. At some point, someone started to talk about books and he said that he doesn’t want to waste his time reading! He said that reading is for old people and something that he will do at his retirement! Well, as you can imagine that was my first stroke. I mean, okay, I understand that some people just don’t like to read, but reading’s not a waste of time. I won’t even begging to say how much reading means for many people, but in my opinion, reading is way better than sitting all day in front of the TV, or playing games. I’m just saying.

Anyway, I could have let this pass but what followed made me even more furious. A second guy agreed by saying that reading fiction can’t offer you almost anything and the only books we should read are academic books. I swallowed my frustration and I took some deep breaths or else I would have punched someone. These two guys, in five minutes, managed to annihilate a form of art. I mean where the world is going if each of us starts to reject and make fun of the arts? Did any of them thought how hard was for those writers to create a book? A book is someone’s art. He didn’t just wake up one day and tossed some words on paper and called it a book! Do they know what sacrifices the author did in order to create a story; a solid story that people read and care about? 

When I have a book in my hands, I treat it with the respect it needs. Someone struggled in order for me to read it and he/she deserves my respect. Even if I end up hating the story, I will never hate the book. I can accept that those two people don’t like to read but I will not tolerate to degrade either reading or writing. All those authors, known or unknown, who wrote a fictional or any other story, they do worth our respect. Even if their story will never get published or even if their story will hit the bestseller list.

Reading a book develops your imagination, is fun, introduces you to new ideas, entertains you and keeps your mind sharp. These are just a few things that popped into my mind. I’m sure you can think of more.
It pisses me off that some people make fun or disgrace what they don’t understand. Most of the times they act like this, thinking that what they do is the only right way for people to act. Hey, you’re young, so the only thing you should do is to get drank every day and sleep around.
You’re reading?? OMG, you are a geek!
You are writing? OMG, get a life!

Yeah, allow me not to care what these people think about. And here it fits an older post I had published. Talk or stay Silent? I think it’s good that I keep my mouth shut.  

So, I’m asking you now…what would you say to those two guys if you were in my place? Am I overreacting? 

18 comments:

  1. I'd have glared at them and chucked a magazine/newspaper at their face with the words 'YOU DARE DISS READING?' drawled in large angry font before storming out.
    Not gonna lie but those adults make teens look SO accepting. I don't get put down for reading even though many are proud that they read less than me & are like 'YOLO'. Why are they missing out in their teens? They just want to live now but reading IS living, they'll love it when they're older & will kick themselves. Well, can't expect people to wise as all us book bloggers, adults, teens or whatever.
    That guy will kick himself even more if he's waiting til' retirement. It's an aging population & he dares only include reading THEN? That's a fragile dream & I'd tell him that.
    Idiot.
    THOSE GUYS. ARGH. IDIOT. IDIOT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that you are as frustrated as I am. It's not like I want to force them to read but I expect some maturity. I don't want to judge people. Everyone can do whatever he wants.
      But we have a brain and since we do, we have to understand that we can't just make fun of everything. It's called critical thinking.

      Delete
  2. OMG! Those guys are IDIOTS, if I had been there nothing good could have come out of my mouth. My friends know how much I love books and reading and everytime someone complains about it they look at me and wait for my response. I can understand that some people don't like reading but you can't under any circunstance say that reading is a waste of time.
    Thnks for sharing your experience
    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it right: " I can understand that some people don't like reading but you can't under any circumstance say that reading is a waste of time."
      Should I have said how many things they do that I don't understand?? It wouldn't matter. :)

      Delete
  3. *Slow Clapping* everything you said is what I think. I understand reading isn't for everybody, the same way math or sports isn't for everybody, but I wish people realize that just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't good.

    Just about everybody in my family doesn't read, except my mom, but shes really busy. And all of my friends don't read, but none of them diss reading. And I am really grateful for that. However, A while ago I did have a friend who that that reading was a waste of time. She just didn't understand why I would want to read. And I am pretty sure she looked down on me, because I loved reading. My Point being, that I wished people wouldn't look down on other people, just because they like something the other person doesn't.

    I agree with everything you said and a really great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my friends read. As for the others, I think that they look down on me like you said. But I don't care, if I wanted I could easily look down on them for some of the stuff they do, but I'm not that person. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow - that's all I could think of when reading this post. I have soooooo much respect for authors that write the stories that I read. I couldn't write a book for the life of me even though I have tried because I enjoy creative writing. Something books give you besides a good imagination is a nice vocabulary and understanding of cultures that you may not have had otherwise. I find myself able to answer trivia questions because of random things that I learned while reading a book about werewolves and vampires! These authors pour their hearts and deserve respect, but there will always be others who don't want to read them. Just like some people don't like to watch T.V. or movies and the people that create those work just as hard to create those for us as well. I guess it's really the same thing. Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there must be respect for people's' work. What we don't like is just what we don't like. Nothing more. Everyone has his likes and dislikes. There is no reason to make fun of it.

      Delete
  5. I feel sad for anyone who doesn't read and never gets to experience the joys and lessons reading a book can bring.
    A lot of my friends don't really read either, but I have pushed my favorite books on them in an attempt to get them to read, which has gotten them started reading and opened them up to a whole new world.
    But regardless of what anyone else thinks, if nothing else, at least it offers me an escape and joy unmatched by any other activity, if only for a little bit :)

    - Camilla
    happycompletehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel sad for those who make fun every little thing that they don't like to do. Every person is different. Don't they know that? :)

      Delete
  6. I easily get pissed off when someone, especially a friend tells me reading is a waste of time. I don't like such statements, for without reading, I wouldn't be the person I am today. And I guess it's so for some other people.

    Well, I know everybody doesn't enjoy reading, but at least people should understand we all have our likes and be allowed to indulge in it without trying to criticize what we love. No form of art - music, books, painting, drawing, movies - is a waste.

    Thanks for sticking out for us reader and writer folks. Maybe when they see your book out, with your name everywhere they'd understand how good it is to read, whether novels or academic books.

    Happy Reading and Writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, maybe...who knows. But you're right that: "we all have our likes and be allowed to indulge in it without trying to criticize what we love. No form of art - music, books, painting, drawing, movies - is a waste."
      It's sad that some people can't understand this little thing. Can you imagine what the world would be like if we were all thinking the same? It's not a pretty image!:)

      Delete
  7. What a great interview and interesting premise.
    I like that it sounds unique and different.
    And perhaps like it has an element of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It makes me sad that some people judge others for things they like to do. I mean I'm not an overly huge fan of modern art, but I don't sit around and say it is stupid and pointless. It is okay to not like to read if it isn't your thing, but they came of harsh sounding to those that like to read. I LOVE reading and although my friends may have called me a book nerd it didn't bother me, because I love my books, and they never did it in a mean way. These guys sounds like know it alls. I love reading because I get to escape the real world and enter into a whole new one. It is especially great when I'm feeling down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I don't like many things that other people do but I don't sit around either and judge them. Everyone like to do different things. What's the harm? I just don't get those people.

      Delete
  9. I am so with you on this. To not enjoy reading is one thing; to belittle it is another. UGH.

    Once, I mentioned how I went to the library for fun, and the people I was with were absolutely shocked, and even a bit disgusted. Heaven forbid I actually like to spend my free time around books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe you spend your free time around books??OMG.hehe
      I know the reaction you describe. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a whole different world than most people.

      Delete
  10. Hi, Athina. I'm back again. This time to play the game of TAG with you. Check out the details; you might be interested: http://theartistcreativeforum.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-game-of-tag_25.html

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete