Slide Show

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Reading Hound




Do you hear the bells? Do you, by any chance, see the red flags quivering in the corner?

Do you “investigate” the book you’re reading or do you let the writer guide you throughout the story? 

I always believed that there are two kinds of people: those who take the writer’s hand and travel along with him and those who leave him behind and march on an adventurous hunt.

I’m so hooked with my new read. It’s been a while since I felt this excited about a book and it reminds me the good old times when I was reading Flynn

What is better than a book calling you, daring you to travel in its pages and maybe-just maybe-discover the story behind the scenes? Can you get into the writer’s mind and figure out a thing or two? Do you want to?

In this case, I got a peek inside two writers’s minds, since it’s Nicci French I’m reading and The Land of the Living.

Abbie is not in a good place. She has been kidnapped but she doesn’t give up. She tests her limits and is willing to fight for her life. We follow the story from her eyes-her blindfolded eyes-so there are very little things she can say to us about the actual state she’s in. She can’t be objective.

Her mind though is sharp, fuzzy now and then, she doesn’t remember much, but as she sits in the darkness, alone, cold and petrified, Abbie finds ways to get the upper hand. Will that be helpful?

I am still at the beginning of this book, but as I read I catch myself noticing some things. Sometimes it’s the faint sound of bell, ringing in my ears practically telling me to pay attention while others I see those familiar flags raised before my eyes as something is not quite right.

This is how it happens when I read. Like a good hound I explore and sniff and smell the trap before I get too close. And I do enjoy it so much. I like to spot the hints that the writer leaves behind, to gather the breadcrumbs and get a glimpse of the surprise that is about to come.  

I had a feeling about this story and I was right! Let’s see what else I can discover. 

Until then, do tell me your reading habits.

3 comments:

  1. I love that feeling too - that you're figuring something out and discovering the mysteries as they're unfolding!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I investigate for sure. I can't help it though, it's in my nature in all parts of life to pay attention to all the little details. The problem with that in reading though is that it's so hard to surprise me so when an author can it's very special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I totally agree, Jaclyn.That's one of the reasons I love Flynn's books. She does surprise me so much.
      We are true reading hounds. LoL

      Delete