Slide Show

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Breathtaking: Dark Places

If it’s Gillian Flynn then I’m hooked!

Seriously give me everything she has ever written and I want to read it. I finished Dark Places and I’m more thrilled about her and her stories. If Sharp Objects blew my mind once, Dark Places splattered my brain all over the place.

And I still want more.

In this book we follow Libby Day’s story. A redheaded woman who suffered a loss at a very tender age. When she was seven her mother and two sisters were murdered and her fifteen-year-old brother was sentence to life for the crime. Since then she’s been drifting.

Twenty years later, will Libby manage to find what really happened that night?

I have meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it. It’s the Day blood. Something’s wrong with it.

How awesome are these opening lines? How can you not want to read this book and this story? When I started reading it, I thought: Okay, it can’t be better than Sharp Objects. Now, I can’t pick a favorite between the two books.

The book is written in multiple POV’s so we get a very good understanding about each character. We start with Libby and even from the start the pace is fast and right to the point. What I didn’t know but I was thrilled to find out, is that we see both future and past. Meaning that one chapter is about Libby in the present, and the next chapter is about her mom, or her brother back in 1985 a few days before the murders. It’s like this until the end. Present, Past, Present and it goes on.

Switching through time builds tension and as the developments unfold, I found myself looking forward for the next chapter, eager to know what happened in January or curious about Libby’s doings today.

Lies, false testimonies, crappy police work and complicated characters. Gillian Flynn ties them all together, leading you to a journey to Libby’s painful past and the ore painful present.

Dark Places is one of those books I wish I could forget, so I could read it all over again. Just to feel the same thrill and excitement of reading it for the first time.

I’m in love with these books!

No comments:

Post a Comment