Slide Show

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Writing Spots


So, the time has come, you’re finally home. 

You’ve been waiting all day for some peace and quiet. Just you and your laptop. You open the file, that same file that is tormenting you for so long. But it’s a sweet feeling because you love that pain and desperation of the story you’re writing. You love the unanswered questions: how, when, who, how but most of all you love to answer them, to move closer to the end. Two words become two sentences, and then your hands don’t move fast enough to catch your thoughts, your ideas and the sudden inspirational wave that consumed you.

You’re finally there, you’re bleeding, giving a part of your soul to your story.

But where are you?

Do you have a writing desk equipped with notes and notebooks? Are you sitting cross-legged on the floor, laptop on the coffee table? Are you outside in a coffee shop, listening to music and drinking your favorite latte?

I guess everyone has a favorite writing spot, a place where magic flows.

My spot is my desk. Is not the writing desk I’d love to have, it’s a simple wooden surface, but it’s big enough to place my notebooks and books and write. Most of the times you’ll find me there, either writing in silence or music playing on high volume and on repeat.

Lately though I like writing on the bed. I sit cross-legged, placing the laptop on my lap, scattering the books and notebooks on the covers around me. Sometimes I even sit on the floor, but only if I won’t do much writing because it’s not too comfy.

I find it refreshing to do my writing in a different part of the house and I’d love to write outdoors, but I haven’t tired that yet. Although I must admit that the ultimate favorite writing spot is when I visit my parents. 

If it’s summer, I sit on the porch, staring at the sea. My eyes focus mostly on the horizon, where the deep blue of the sea and the light blue of the sky touch. Like two lovers that stayed apart for too long. If it’s winter, I write by the fireplace, letting the cat sit on my lap, purring softly, while I listen the sounds of the fire and the burning wood.

Now, I need to write. 
  


8 comments:

  1. This is so well written. I'm not a writer like you are but I do write sometimes. Normally I do it at the coffee table like you described or at my empty desk in my room. Anyway, I love your blog and I believe you have a new follower ;)

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I think that writing is more than just putting words together. It's a way of life for me.
      Thanks the follow, I followed you too. :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh I bet listening to a fire crackle is inspiring. I can also picture that horizon as you talk about it. Must be a beautiful sight. Happy writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jaclyn. It is a beautiful sight indeed!

      Delete
  3. I haven't written in a while. I am however looking forward to NaNo again. I usually stick with writing at our little table in our apartment. It's like my desk. I do however want to try on the bed now or outside. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get to write again. When I have days to write I feel blue, like a part of me is missing. I hope we get to write somewhere new!

      Happy writing!

      Delete
  4. Writing at your parents' place sounds so lovely! No wonder it's your favorite... :)

    ReplyDelete