Slide Show

Monday, March 3, 2014

Shatter me by Tahereh Mafi

Well, I have mixed feelings about Shatter me. This book was almost everywhere when I was looking for a new read, so one day I decided to give it a try. The synopsis was interested enough so I was ready for some dystopian action. Well, things got a little weird as I kept reading.

Care to share some thoughts? Please join me.

Let’s talk a little about the story. Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days because last time she did, the results were fatal. No one knows why this seventeen year old girl is different but no one cares. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. The Reestablishment has taken over and Juliette is in isolation. Then things change and Juliette maybe is useful. So she has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

From the beginning of this book, I found myself frowning because of the repetitions. The author kept repeating things and I couldn’t understand why. Well, I still can’t, but I guess it’s a way to highlight a few things. It was a little annoying though.

As the story moved on, the repetitions decreased, so I was able to focus on the story and I actually enjoyed it. The pace and the action is good and Juliette is a very interesting character. I was curious to see why she can’t touch anyone and that kept me reading.

But then, toward the end the story took a turn I didn’t really enjoy. From some point and on it becomes a little trivial and reminded me some very popular movies. (I won’t spoil it for you in case you want to read it.) I was waiting a different turn, another way to justify some things, so I was a little disappointed.

I gave this book three stars on Goodreads, because if I rule out these two things I didn’t enjoy, the book is beautifully written and Tahereh Mafi managed to pull me in the story. Even if she shoved me away a little at the end. 


How about you? Have you read it? 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this one, but I'm dying to know what movies the end reminded you of. I like the conflict that would come from not being able to touch. I hope you have a great week, Athina! Great review!

    ReplyDelete