Slide Show

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Monstrumologist

A pretty interesting title, don’t you agree? At least if you are intrigued by monsters, dark creatures and peculiar scientists in 1888. I was thrilled since the moment I read the synopsis and the book itself hooked me for good.

Are you ready for a tour in the monstrumology’s world?

These are the secrets I have kept. This is the trust I never betrayed. But he is dead now and has been for more than forty years, the one who gave me his trust, the one for whom I kept these secrets. The one who saved me . . . and the one who cursed me.


Well, don’t tell me this isn’t breathtaking! These are Will Henry’s worlds, our MC, and he is in a big-big trouble. The Monstrumologist is the first book in this series, and three more books follow the story of this young man’s story we’re about to learn.

When an old man dies in 2007 in a flat somewhere in US, a man finds some diaries where a well-guarded secret is revealed. “I am William James Henry and I was born in the year of our Lord eighteen-hundred and seventy-six!” Those are his last words and then his story begins.

When Will’s parents died in a fire, Dr. Pellinore Warthorpe took him home as an assistant. But Pellinore is not a simple doctor, he studies monstrumology, the study of monsters and nothing is easy.    

In this first book they are after a dangerous kind of monster and catching them seems to be more difficult than they expected. The story is fast-paced, interesting and Rick Yancey’s words traveled me back in another time, making me crave for more. Dr. Pellinore is a magnificent character and along with Will’s innocence they are a great combination.

If you are okay, with some disgusting descriptions about a monster’s autopsy, and you don’t mind some blood, then this book is the right match for you.

You’ll find yourself wondering about the creatures that lurk in the shadows, about the mystery that hides in plain sight and you will wonder: How much do we know the world we live in?

So, what do you think? Are you ready to explore a monstrumologist’s world? 

5 comments:

  1. Oh I don't think this is for me, but I do love the premise and the quotes you shared. I thought of the TV show Fringe but without all the futuristic sci-fi conspiracy stuff. Great review, Athina. I'm a little stalled on the writing...too many real world thoughts are stalking me right now. Ack! I hope you're flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I knew this wasn't for you. hehe.
      It was a great book though.
      My writing is a little better, but it's hard to reach 50K. We will see.
      And I hope you're swimming, Robyn. :)
      Talk to you soon.

      Delete
  2. I've seen others recommend The Monstrumologist before, but had no idea it was a series! I'll have to remember to check this book out sometime. As a lifelong horror fan, I definitely don't mind a little blood, heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, please, remember this book. Since you are horror fan you'll enjoy it. :)
      Have you read The Shining by King? I plan to.

      Delete
    2. Nope, haven't read it. I've never felt compelled to pick up any of his books, to be honest... (I know, I'm weird, heh.)

      Delete