Slide Show

Monday, November 11, 2013

Harry Hole: The Redbreast

The Redbreast is another one of Harry Hole’s stories and I’m craving to discuss it with you. Actually this is Harry’s third story. I started reading this amazing series from the seventh book, The Snowman, but even if I didn’t read the books in the proper order, I did enjoy them all. Care to join me so I can share the magic? :)

The topic of this book is particularly interesting since Nesbo talks about the war. In 1944, Daniel, a soldier, dies and two years later a wounded soldier wakes up in a Vienna hospital. He becomes involved with a young nurse, the consequences of which will ripple forward to the turn of the next century.


When I read this on the back cover of the book I couldn’t understand how this could be a part of Harry’s story. Especially when Harry himself had caused an embarrassment in the line of duty and so he was promoted to an inspector. Yeah, I smiled wide when I learned that Harry was promoted only because he messed things up! That was a so smart development.

Anyway, Harry monitors neo-Nazi activities, when a rare and unusual gun kills a man. Then it’s up to him to find the shooter before anyone else dies. And the race begins. While Harry is trying to find information about some soldiers who fought in the war, we read the story of a soldier back in 1946.

While reading this book I was amazed how well written and interesting both stories were. Either I was in 1944 or in 1999, I was eager to learn more and find out what the two stories had in common. And I was surprised. Even if I had some thoughts about the shooter, I hadn’t seen this end coming. Nesbo is always some steps ahead of the reader, able to trigger his or hers curiosity and then leaving us amazed with the revelations.

I love that in a book, I love that in a story and I love that in Harry Hole. He is the most alive character I have ever read, but maybe this is just because he is my fairydust. Well, I don’t know, but I know for sure that these crime novels are so worth your time.

I had never read a story about soldiers, wars and stuff like these and I frowned at first, but the story managed to pull me in and then it was just magic.

So, here’s to the next Harry Hole book.


What are you thinking about?

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see this series hasn't disappointed you! I've never read anything by Jo Nesbo, but he seems like an amazing author...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this series is amazing. You should read one. Pick The Snowman!! Pick it now. :)

      Delete