Slide Show

Monday, August 3, 2015

Stolen Summer





I wake up sweaty since the heat is unbearable. I hardly slept last night and my heart hammers as if something is wrong. 

I head straight to the bathroom and let the cold water run on my body. It's refreshing, so much that I chill but I stay there under the water until I can breathe again.


I cover myself with a towel and look in the mirror.

I'm tired. There are black circles under my eyes and I feel weak. I feel dizzy as if I walk in a foggy place not able to focus on my surroundings and even walking is a hard task lately.

I comb my hair and as I get ready for work, the heat overwhelms me and my head hurts. It hurts for days stopping for a few hours and then the pain returns as if it wants to torture me. Is it the heat? Is it tiredness?

I pick up my stuff and go down the stairs, heading to the subway. I open the door and step out of the building, feeling already exhausted.

Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath of hot air. "Hang on until summer," I say, thinking of the summer holidays. Then I open my eyes and look around me.

The city is drowned in silence; the voices die and the cicada sing their song in a high-ever ending- pitched tone. My pulse accelerates and beads of sweat stain my forehead. I check the date on my phone.

It's August!

It's August which means that summer is slowly heading to its end and I still wait for it! I long for blue waters and some peace of mind. 

Where did the summer go? How did it pass by so fast? I was there, waiting for it and now I feel like chasing fireflies with a small, almost nonexistent net.

Who stole the summer?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know, but July never went by so quickly. I can't go back to the dark.

    / Avy
    http://MyMotherFuckedMickJagger.blogspot.com




    ReplyDelete