Slide Show

Monday, August 31, 2015

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs




Peculiar Children and a peculiar book. Since I laid eyes on that book I wanted to read it. There was something strange and mysterious that made me want to grab a copy and explore it.

So I did!

It starts with a family drama but it's only the beginning for Jacob to discover the secret that his family is hiding all along. But can he believe? What happens when you find yourself unable to trust your own eyes?


In this book we follow a sixteen-year-old boy, who finds himself in a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. But with peculiarity comes danger and pretty soon Jacob has to face unknown threats and he is forced to make hard decisions.

I was hooked from the very first paragraph but as I kept reading I realized that something was missing. The story was flat and mostly uneventful. The children were interesting enough but they were just children afraid and hiding in Miss Peregrine's home. They disappointed me a little.

What I really enjoyed was the world building. The way those kids were living and the things they should do in order to stay alive was the most exciting part in the book. The idea of what has hiding beyond the bog was unique and beautiful. I also enjoyed reading about Miss Peregrine's love and devotion to them and the way her life was tangled with the 3rd of September!

And then there are the photographs! What a great idea to add the photographs of the children! It added creepiness, and when I read that the photos were actually real ones provided by collectors and some modified a little to fit the description of the kids, I absolutely felt a chill run down my spine!

Have you read it? Share your thoughts and enjoy the quotes!

"Sometimes you just need to go through a door."


“I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen. The first of these came as a terrible shock and, like anything that changes you forever, split my life into halves: Before and After. Like many of the extraordinary things to come, it involved my grandfather, Abraham Portman.”


1 comment: