Slide Show

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A book is more than just a read

I’m sure most of you agree with me, right? We don’t just read something and that’s it. What we read affects us in all kinds of ways. How many times did you cry while reading a book? How many times did you get angry, or excited?

The truth is that when I read, I am excited and passionate about my read. I want to keep reading, to solve the mystery, to catch the killer. Maybe because the books I usually read are like that. The only time I cried was while reading The Hunger Games trilogy. I don’t really know why, but reading about Katniss and her life, it brought tears to my eyes.  

Lately though, a new feeling consumes me when I read. It’s because of the book I’m currently reading and that is The Shinning, by Stephen King. Well it’s a thriller and I it’s scary! The weird thing is that it actually affects me and I am not the person who easily gets scared. I watch thrillers but I had never read one. At least one like this.  

I’m very surprised. Most of the books I read made me think about stories, building scenarios about the plot and make my mind spin. But this book makes me turn more lights on while I read, or sneak a peek behind my back.

I guess that’s King’s success. His words managed to make the reader’s skin crawl and his heart pound. And that’s pretty important.

So, how does a book affect you? Tell me about it.


11 comments:

  1. I think books definitely affect me really emotionally. I get really attached to characters and act as though they're real people. I can't explain it but a book is definitely more than just a read. It takes me into a whole new world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I get attached to characters too. Not all of them, but most. My biggest crush is with Harry Hole! Oh, I love him!:)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Nicholas Sparks' books have made me cry everytime! And Harry Potter books 6 and 7 made me shed not a few tears. I haven't read Stephen King's books yet, but I know he's a fantastic author...which is precisely one of the reasons I haven't read his works, because I'm a scaredy-cat :D

    Some books move me to tears, some make me cry. Some books (like Jenny Colgans' baker series) make me feel good after reading, and those are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. The books that make us feel good at the end are the best books. :)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. :) Thanks for stopping by, Riza.

      Have a beautiful day.

      Delete
  4. That's awesome that your current read has its grips in you like that! There's an episode of Friends where Joey and Rachel switch books. Joey has to read Little Women (and he bawled his eyes out) and Rachel had to read The Shining (she hid it in the freezer just like Joey had).

    I cried my eyes out so much during The Hunger Games. Man.

    Happy scary reading, Athina!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I remember this episode. It was really fun. Too bad I can't put my e-reader in the freezer!

      Have a super day, Robyn.

      Delete
  5. I like books that make me laugh out loud the most...less so when I'm at work, but in all they are my favourite ones ;)

    But I also like the ones that I think about for days afterwards, they were so good. Sometimes years afterwards even!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books that stay with us year afterwards are the special ones. :)
      For me that book is The Host, by Stephenie Meyer.
      I just adore it.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I completely agree--the books I read affect me, too! Lynne Ewing's books especially affect me. (I still cry whenever re-reading the end of the Daughters of the Moon series, for example, and books don't make me cry most of the time!)

    ReplyDelete