Slide Show

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Think Out Loud: Possibility



This is Think out Loud. It’s a weekly meme created to help bloggers break out from the blogging bubble. The rules are simple. We post whatever we want and let people know what’s in our mind. Visit the creator on Thinks Books and join too. It’s so cool to share your random thoughts.


Possibility is not probability. It is possible the sun will rise in the west on the morrow, but hardly probable.

This line has stuck in my head since I read it in Monstrumologist, by Rick Yancey. Possibility is a huge power, a driving force guiding us through life. Every act, every thought, every little choice we do is due to possibility. We may think of it as dreaming, believing, but deep down is simply science. Mathematics creating an outcome based on the entries we provide. It’s probability.

It is possible for me to develop my writing without reading, but it’s hardly probable. The more I read and write the more the probability increases. Like I’m climbing infinite stairs, one step at a time, hoping to reach at the top. But the more steps I climb the more possible the outcome becomes.

Is there, I wonder, the moment where possibility becomes probability?

I doubt it since if this was the case we would be able to forecast our lives. But that’s the beauty. The random events changing the facts and subvert the outcome. That’s the beauty of life which can’t be measured by probabilities but possibilities. Everything is possible if we really believe and work for it. We create the probabilities, we write our faith.

So yeah, possibility is not probability because anything can happen. 

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this reflecting on possibility and probability! And you're right, it's kind of nice to not know the probabilities, and at the same time, we have so many possibilities!

    I hope you're doing well, Athina :)

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) This line has stuck in my head and I just had to share it.
      I hope you're doing well, too.
      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. "we write our faith" This is beautiful, Athina. I'm such a logic girl, I wanted to have this possible vs. probable talk with you in person over a drink. I'm not an anything is possible girl, but I do believe lack of imagination is the biggest snuffer of dreams. I love your TOL post! You know who else would love this one, Kaykay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be so good to chat about it over a drink. Gin would be good. :)
      I try to think positive, especially now that I'm in a weird place. You're right. Kaykay would like this too.


      Delete
    2. Okay, I was totally full of it. I am an anything is possible girl. Your post has been haunting me and then it occurred to me, when it comes to Will's autism, no one can tell me what his future holds, anything is possible. Thanks, Athina.

      Delete
    3. Yes, you're absolutely right.
      Anything is possible. I am a believer. :)
      I'm glad that I helped in some way, Robyn.

      Delete
  3. Wow, your TOLs are always very insightful in to our own lives! You should be a therapist! consular....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, great post today. I've never thought of possibilities quite like this before, or even how they compare to probabilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm glad you enjoying my posts.
      It's always a pleasure to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. This was so interesting, Athina. I really enjoyed reading it! Look forward to seeing you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last night I said to myself, "Hey, mister, you have to end this internet hiatus." So, I wake up this morning and decide I'll start by visiting my favourites sites, and here I have this wonderful post waiting for me. :) Robyn is definietly right. I love this, Athina. It's very inspiring and I just learnt something from it.

    "It is possible for me to develop my writing without reading, but it’s hardly probable."
    I haven't read a novel in a month; I guess that's why I haven't been able to do any writing.

    Thanks for sharing this post, Athina. I hope you'll have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, welcome back. :)
      I guess you've been pretty busy lately. I hope everything's going well.
      I'm glad you enjoyed this post. It is one of my favorites too. Think Out Loud is a really cool meme.
      I know how you feel, I hope you'll manage to read this month so you can start creating again.

      Have a great weekend too, Kaykay.

      Delete