Slide Show

Monday, May 18, 2015

Alice in Wonderland




A curious, dreamy girl in a strange world. I am ashamed but it took me a while to read this book. Now that I'm thinking about it, I recall a large brown hardback on the top shelf in my room when I was a kid. I remember holding it in my hands, flipping through the pages, running my fingers over the golden letters, but I don't remember reading it.

But it's never too late, right?


Down the rabbit hole, Alice went and her adventure began. Who wouldn't have followed a little white rabbit, holding a clock and murmuring? I know I would. And I would do it even now that I'm not a little, dreamy girl, but an older dreamy one.

I knew this book would be absolutely strange and it was. I watched Alice shrinking and growing and trying to find the proper height. I read the most peculiar conversations with animals and let them guide me to the Wonderland, where they played croquet with flamingos and hedgehogs. I loved the Queen of Hearts, even if her favorite phrase was: "Off with his head." I loved that phrase too.

But what I loved most of all, was the Hatter and the March Hare. The tea time, the reason they sat at that long messy table, the way they accepted that part of reality. It was so clever and fun that I found myself going back to read that part again.

This book taught me that imagination doesn’t always make sense, and I say this, me, that I crave for the stories to make sense, that I long for the solution to the riddle and I'm disappointed if there are unexplained parts in a story. I'm starting to believe though that there are some parts in a story, some delicate pieces of information that it's better not to be explained. To poke the reader's mind and make him think.

This is a must read. I felt like swimming in a sea of colors and it made my mind spin differently that it spun before. So, only for that, grab a copy if you haven't already.

Enjoy the quotes!

"We're all mad here. I'm mad," said the Cat.

"How do you know you're mad?"

"To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?"

"I suppose so,” said Alice.

"Well then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

 ***

"What do you mean by that?" said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir," said Alice, "because I'm not myself, you see."

No comments:

Post a Comment